Recipe: The Best-Ever Milkshakes
We love our basic milkshake recipe because with just one base you can create limitless flavour combos to satisfy your every craving. The best part - it's so easy! Milkshakes are very forgiving and flexible. If you add too much flavouring, just top up with a little extra milk or ice cream. Not sweet enough? Add a touch of sugar or honey. Want more oomph? Add a little more of the flavouring component and you're good to go.
Milkshake Base Recipe
- For a thicker shake, use 1 part vanilla ice cream to 1 part milk
- For a thinner shake, use 1 part vanilla ice cream to 2 parts milk
Tip: Use our premium ice cream for a full, creamy texture and taste, or our Vanilla Bean Dream gelato for a slightly lighter, cleaner finish. Full cream milk is best.
Watch our video below to see how to make three of our favourite shakes from our milkshake base: classic Cookies & Cream, indulgent Nutella and our tribute to Elvis - peanut butter & banana, topped with peanut butter toast. All you need to do is add a variety of simple ingredients to flavour the vanilla base. And if you're feeling it - top the shake with an extra scoop of vanilla ice cream. Umm, YUM!
Full recipes below, along with more than 20 other ideas for delicious shakes.
Cookies & Cream: Add 5-7 Oreos to the above Base Recipe mix. Decorate with an Oreo cookie.
Nutella: Add 2 tbsp Nutella to the above Base Recipe mix. You can decorate the glass with Nutella sauce (Nutella thinned out with a little neutral tasting vegetable oil).
Elvis: Add 1/2 a ripe banana and 1 tbsp peanut butter (crunchy or smooth works) to the above Base Recipe mix. Decorate with a slice of peanut butter toast, and sliced banana.
23 More Flavours to Try:
Think of our milkshake base as a blank canvas on which you can create the shake of your dreams. Experiment with the proportions until you're happy with the end result. Other flavours we recommend are:
Fresh & Fruity:
- Strawberry Cheesecake: add fresh strawberries or strawberry coulis, cream cheese and top with digestive biscuits or graham crackers. (You can substitute the strawberries with blueberries or mixed berries for a berry cheesecake.)
- Apple Pie: add apple pie filling (diced apples cooked with sugar & cinnamon), cinnamon powder and digestive biscuits, graham crackers or pie crust. Top with a biscuit/cracker and a slice of apple or a spoon of apple pie filling. Drizzle with caramel sauce or maple syrup if desired.
- Tropical Mango: add ripe mangos. If desired, replace the milk with coconut milk. Top with a cocktail umbrella.
- Peaches & Cream: add ripe peaches or peach puree (in a pinch, you can used canned peaches). Top with whipped cream and a slice of peach.
- Peppermint Choc: add mint extract with chocolate sauce. Top with a sprig of mint and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
- Toasted Marshmallow: add toasted marshmallows and decorate the glass with chocolate sauce. Mix in mini marshmallows after blending if desired. Top with a toasted marshmallow.
- Caramel Pretzel: add caramel sauce, and decorate the glass with extra caramel. Top with crispy pretzels.
- Iced Mocha: add cocoa and coffee powder. Top with a sprinkle of cocoa powder mixed with icing sugar, and decorate the glass with chocolate sauce.
- Cereal Milk: add cornflakes. Top with more cornflakes. For a boozy version, add a shot of whiskey or bourbon.
- Chocolate Brownie: add cocoa powder or chocolate syrup. After blending, mix in small chocolate brownie chunks. Top with a brownie square and chopped nuts or choc chips if desired.
Local Singapore (and Asian) Favourites:
- Onde Onde: add pandan extract, gula melaka and substitute the milk with coconut milk. Sprinkle with dessicated coconut.
- Chendol: add gula melaka and substitute milk with coconut milk. Mix in green chendol jellies after blending. Drizzle with gula melaka syrup.
- Thai Red Ruby: substitute the milk with coconut milk. Stir in pomegranate or red ruby jelly after blending. Top with more red rubies.
- Mango Sago Pomelo: add mango, condensed milk. Stir through sago and pomelo after blending. Decorate with a drizzle of condensed milk and mango pieces.
- Hong Kong Bubble Tea: add powdered black tea (or infuse milk with black tea leaves) and condensed milk. Mix in sago pearls once blended.
- Japanese Matcha: add powdered matcha. Top with powdered matcha, adzuki beans or konnyaku jelly.
- Chocolate Martini: add a shot of Kahlua, chocolate liqueur or Baileys. Decorate the glass with chocolate sauce.
- Tiramisu: add marscapone, powdered coffee and Marsala wine (or Madeira, port or sherry). Dust cocoa powder over the top, and serve with an Italian sponge finger.
- Irish Coffee: add powdered coffee (make it strong) and a shot of whiskey. Top with whipped cream.
- Christmas Treat: add small gingerbread cookies and caramel sauce. Top with a mini gingerbread man and a dash of cinnamon. For an adult version, add a shot of rum or orange liqueur.
- CNY Pineapple Tart: add pineapple juice, puree or pineapple jam (if you like the texture). Serve with a pineapple tart.
- Hari Raya Kueh Tako: add cooked mung beans, a drop of pandan extract and substitute milk with coconut milk. Stir though small pieces of water chestnut.
- Diwali Delight: before blending, infuse milk with cardamon and saffron. Then remove the cardamon pods and saffron, and blend milk with ice cream as per the Base Recipe. Add a touch of rosewater if desired. Top with crushed almonds, pistachio nuts or candied rose petals.